Two proposals for Blackhawks defenceman Jake McCabe
Leaning on perception from Jason Bukala, our in-house professional with years of NHL entrance workplace and scouting expertise, Sportsnet will take a more in-depth take a look at a lot of prime commerce candidates between now and the March 3 commerce deadline.
Get excited, it’s time to debate commerce potentialities round a U.S.-born Chicago Blackhawks participant who as soon as captained Crew USA on the World Junior Championship and has ties to Buffalo: Sure, Jake McCabe may very well be an ideal deadline pickup for a contending crew.
OK, so the 29-year-old defenceman clearly doesn’t create fairly the identical buzz that Patrick Kane (or Jonathan Toews, for that matter) does, however don’t assume for a second golf equipment received’t be taking a tough take a look at a dependable blueliner who has two full years of crew management left after this season.
As talked about, McCabe wore the ‘C’ for the American crew that received gold on the 2013 World Junior Championship, and he additionally received U-17 and U-18 golds on the world stage main as much as that. The profitable stopped in a rush, although, when he debuted with Kane’s hometown Buffalo Sabres after the squad made him a second-round choose in 2012.
McCabe got here to the Blackhawks as a free agent earlier than the beginning of final season — signed by earlier GM Stan Bowman somewhat than the present boss, Kyle Davidson — that means he actually has toiled on some dangerous outfits for many of his profession. If he performs within the 2023 post-season, it can mark the primary playoff motion of the Wisconsin boy’s NHL profession.
Regardless of his environment, dig into McCabe’s superior five-on-five stats and also you’ll discover they have been at all times respectable (particularly relative to teammates) in Buffalo and after a tough season final yr, McCabe has one of the best anticipated objectives proportion (44.9) of anybody on the Hawks who’s performed 500 five-on-five minutes this season.
He’s not going to wow anyone, however he can play regular hockey on a superb crew’s third pair or possibly even second in a pinch. And, after all, a crew is aware of it’s getting this man for 3 playoff runs. If Chicago could be keen to retain cash on his $4-million annual cap hit, then golf equipment could be much more inclined to pony up for a plug-and-play defenceman who battled accidents throughout his time with the Sabres, however has been wholesome and reliable since touchdown within the Windy Metropolis practically two years in the past.
[brightcove videoID=6320003636112 playerID=JCdte3tMv height=360 width=640]
McCabe shall be in excessive demand if Chicago decides to maneuver him. He’s signed by means of 2024-25 and carries a cap hit of ($4.0 million).
What I like about McCabe’s sport:
• Sound skater – effectively defends towards speed-rush.
• Will get in capturing lanes – his 98 shot blocks are second on the Hawks.
• Spatial consciousness on the PK – head-on-a-swivel surveying and anticipating.
• Has some bump to his sport – he’s second on the Hawks with 100 hits.
• Minute-muncher – has been averaging 19 minutes per sport, all at even power and PK.
• Contributes secondary offense every now and then.
What issues me about McCabe’s sport:
• His defensive routes don’t minimize off lanes to the crease or alongside the boards behind his internet at occasions. Nevertheless it’s a quick sport and he isn’t the one NHL defender who struggles with these particulars at occasions.
• I would like an easier strategy with the puck, particularly if he’s traded to a contending crew that wants him to be accountable solely on the defensive facet and launch the assault with a chip out of his zone or correct tape-to-tape outlet. He’s not high-risk, however there are occasions he does discover himself on the unsuitable facet of the play within the impartial zone.
[brightcove videoID=6320047510112 playerID=JCdte3tMv height=360 width=640]
Value to amass:
• It’s protected to imagine a contending crew goes to have to surrender a first-round choose (plus) to amass McCabe.
• If Chicago agrees to retain 50 per cent of his wage (bringing his cap hit all the way down to $2 million), it can price the crew buying McCabe one other mid-round choose – very possible a 3rd.
Why such a excessive value?
As a result of that’s what the market will ask for and, traditionally, groups have been keen to overpay.
(For instance, on the 2022 commerce deadline, Tampa Bay traded two first-round picks, Taylor Raddysh and Boris Katchouk in alternate for Brandon Hagel and two fourth-round picks.)
Toronto Maple Leafs Get: Jake McCabe ($4.0M by means of 2024-25)
Blackhawks Get: 2023 1st, 2025 third, Alex Kerfoot ($3.5M)
The primary- and third-round picks are a part of the associated fee related to buying McCabe and the time period remaining on his contract.
Kerfoot is a pending UFA, however he has a 10-team no-trade record, so he must comply with being moved to the Hawks.
Chicago doesn’t retain any wage within the commerce. Toronto spends $500,000 of its deadline cap within the transaction.
Carolina Hurricanes Get: Jake McCabe ($4.0M by means of 2024-25)
Blackhawks Get: 2023 1st, 2024 third
It is a easy situation: The Hurricanes have loads of cap house to work with on the deadline and might afford so as to add McCabe for the picks.
Carolina has Dylan Coghlin and Jalen Chatfield on its NHL roster as Nos. 6 and seven defencemen. Calvin DeHaan is the Canes’ No. 5 D-man. McCabe would take stress off their top-four group — Jaccob Slavin, Brent Burns, Brady Skjei, Brett Pesce — and performs with the sort of tempo the Hurricanes worth as a crew.