Creighton Basketball Observe Report (10/25/22) – White and Blue Evaluation
Because the Creighton males’s and ladies’s basketball groups proceed to prepare for the season, quite a bit is occurring at follow. Let’s have a look…
Notes and Quotes From the Creighton Males’s Basketball Observe
- The Jays labored on a few of the smaller particulars on Tuesday popping out of Monday’s follow and Saturday’s closed scrimmage at Iowa State. It’s all the time a inform that the season is nearing when free throw block outs and robust, purposeful rip-through strikes are emphasised. Clear fundamentals in follow result in clear performances on sport day.
- Creighton went stay first with a transition-focused drill after which a 20-minute scrimmage between the blue staff and white staff with referees officiating the entire session. For many who love offense and are bullish on this staff’s expertise and collective talent set, Tuesday afternoon was like an early Christmas.
- Sophomore guard John Christofilis lit up virtually each projected starter. He hit a fall-away three in the best nook over Arthur Kaluma, a 3 within the left nook over Trey Alexander, a 3 on the left wing over Baylor Scheierman, a dribble side-step three on the best wing after utilizing a shot faux to get Ryan Kalkbrenner to fly by him in transition, after which punctuated it with a deep catch and shoot three from the best wing on a easy little dribble hand-off.
- Sophomore level guard Ryan Nembhard and junior heart Ryan Kalkrenner are a deadly ball display tandem. Nembhard completed with each his proper and left hand at instances when Kalkbrenner was tagged. When he wasn’t, the lob was straightforward cash, and when his level guard didn’t get the roll, the large man was there with the comfortable contact on the tip in to wash it up.
- Sophomore combo guard Trey Alexander bought some stay reps on the “one” throughout the 20-minute scrimmage. He produced a left nook three for Mason Miller, completed a right-hand drive off the glass, and bought an help on a defensive rebound and kick forward to Arthur Kaluma for a proper wing 3-pointer.
- Junior level guard Shereef Mitchell was dynamic in maintaining the white staff within the sport the entire time in opposition to the projected starters. He manufactured a pair of layups out of ball display actions with an lively, environment friendly dribble. He produced a kick-out three for Jasen Inexperienced, a flip-back three for Zander Yates, and jumped a DHO on the defensive finish that instantly resulted in a turnover though he didn’t find yourself with the steal. His most spectacular strikes of the session got here on a left-hand drive right into a runner off the glass and a step-back elbow jumper after getting the reigning Massive East Defensive Participant of the 12 months Kalkbrenner switched onto him on the perimeter.
- Freshman guard Ben Shtolzberg placed on a enjoyable present in opposition to the blue staff within the 20-minute scrimmage and in an end-game situation to complete follow. His shot creation is superior for a real freshman, and he put an exclamation level on the day by beating the buzzer for the win with a banked in three off the dribble from the left wing over two defenders. He was fearless as a playmaker, however not in a reckless method that led to volatility within the outcomes.
Greg McDermott’s Ideas on…
The closed scrimmage at Iowa State:
“Defensively we did some good issues. I believed offensively. as soon as we adjusted to their physicality, I believed we settled in fairly nicely. The unselfish nature with which I would like us to play was on show. That was good to see. I’ve seen a few of it in follow, and I used to be simply hoping once we performed any person else it will even be there, and it was.”
How the staff dealt with physicality:
“That’s why I used to be so happy that Iowa State was the one on the schedule this 12 months as a result of clearly they play a really bodily model of protection. They attempt to take some issues away that possibly different groups don’t take away. [Physicality] is all the time going to be a little bit of a problem for us due to the way in which we play in follow. Proper now we now have each groups taking part in quick and each groups attempting to play in house; we’re not attempting to take a variety of passes away. So that you simply have to regulate to that and be prepared for it. We ready for it going into Saturday, and I believed for probably the most half we dealt with it nicely.”
Trey Alexander’s preseason camp:
“I’ve been actually happy with him. He’s made unimaginable progress. He’s going to show some heads I feel this season. He can play each ends of the ground, however he’s bought a tempo about him. He by no means will get sped up, he’s capturing the basketball higher, and he’s going left higher than he was a 12 months in the past and ending going each instructions. And he’ll must be a go-to defender for us. We’re going to ask a variety of him, however I feel he’s able to stepping as much as that problem.”
How Arthur Kaluma is coming alongside since getting cleared to return:
“He’s getting higher on daily basis. His conditioning shouldn’t be there but, however I believed yesterday’s follow was his greatest follow. I believed he slowed down and let issues come to him. He’s simply so anxious and excited to be again on the market that he’s been in a little bit of a rush. As he will get in higher situation and is ready to stack some days on high of one another, I feel he’ll be nearer to his former self. However he was actually good yesterday.”
Baylor Scheierman becoming in together with his new teammates:
“I feel he’s realized to simply belief the offense and let it come to him somewhat than have him pressure it. He was actually good on Saturday. He makes nice choices and performs with an clever tempo. He’s in a position to make use of the shot faux, the move faux, and the top faux to freeze the protection after which make the best learn after that occurs. He did that on a number of events [against Iowa State]. Like I’ve stated earlier than, he can rating the basketball, however he’s an elite, elite passer. Including that to what we already had returning is kind of a talent so as to add to this group.”
Notes and Quotes From the Creighton Ladies’s Basketball Observe
- Upfront of their upcoming exhibition video games on Wednesday night time in opposition to Missouri Western and Saturday afternoon in opposition to Truman State, the Jays put it on their guys’ follow squad a pair instances over the previous week or so. That’s been a recurring theme extra throughout this preseason camp than any 12 months prior.
- Junior ahead Morgan Maly was terrific throughout the managed scrimmages on Friday afternoon. She hauled in 10 rebounds throughout the stay classes and dotted up the entire ground on the offensive finish. She scored off a back-door minimize from the elbow, sealed a smaller defender and scored over her proper shoulder instantly after the catch. She was clear along with her footwork within the low block in executing a post-up that she became a turnaround jumper alongside the baseline. She nailed a left nook 3-pointer on one possession, then hit from the best nook on the very subsequent journey down the ground. She additionally buried a straightaway three on a baseline out-of-bounds play and transformed a second-chance stick again on an additional effort minimize to the offensive glass from the best wing. It’s fairly clear that she’s put in a variety of work rounding out her sport and has grow to be a reasonably particular scorer. There isn’t wherever on the offensive finish of the ground that she isn’t harmful. Oh, and by the way in which, for context, she has shot 65.8% contained in the arc and 46.5% past it in preseason camp throughout stay classes which are charted by the managers.
- Junior heart Mallory Brake popped a bit throughout that very same Friday session. She hit a pair threes, then bought a steal that she became factors on the opposite finish with an offensive rebound and putback. She additionally had a troublesome closeout and compelled a missed three with strong footwork, base, and disruptive palms. The fellows’ staff bought off to a scorching begin offensively, however Brake’s contributions sparked a 21-6 run over the ultimate 20 possessions of the scrimmage.
- Freshman level guard Kiani Lockett was cleared to go 5-on-5 within the half courtroom. She continues to make regular progress and is trending to fit in as Molly Mogensen’s backup across the time Massive East play will get underway.
Jim Flanery’s Ideas on…
How the three freshmen are acclimating to this stage:
“As you would possibly count on, their heads spin extra defensively than on offense. Kennedy might be not able to play a variety of backup level guard, we might attempt her there, however I feel she will be able to play off the ball. She shoots it nicely and he or she’s bodily and difficult. Brittany type of all the way in which round defensively has a strategy to go, however she’s making progress. Offensively, she will be able to shoot it and he or she’s large enough to complete across the basket. I feel she has really feel for the sport on offense. And I feel Kiani has seemed good within the stuff that we’ve carried out. Hopefully if we are able to get her cleared and get a pair weeks of follow in, then hopefully by Thanksgiving or a bit later she may help us, as a result of we have to work out a backup level guard … Kiani’s most likely our greatest possibility, however we’re not going to have that for at the least a month as a result of she must follow most likely at the least two, two-and-half to a few weeks earlier than we’re going to throw her right into a sport and count on her to be ok to assist us. “
Molly Mogensen’s decision-making all through camp:
“I feel within the half courtroom she’s carried out very well. I feel she will be able to nonetheless make a bounce in transition. And we’re not nearly as good of a transition staff with out Tatum … however I feel she will be able to make a bounce. On the similar time, within the half courtroom she’s fairly strong. She performs nicely with Emma and Morgan, and it’s not simply the variety of assists, it’s the maintaining her turnovers low.”
Mallory Brake’s regular enchancment:
“She’s far more snug dealing with up. She’s made some threes in follow and we’re going to let her shoot. I talked to Ryan Kalkbrenner the opposite day and he stated that Coach goes to let him shoot one per sport. So possibly we must always put that rule in for Mal and if she hits the primary one, she will get to take a second one. However even dealing with up from 15 to 17 toes she’s gotten method higher. She’s all the time been good at making layups, which sounds silly to say, however it’s essential when you’ve got one or two layups a sport and also you make them each versus miss them each, that’s massive. Defensively she generally is a distinction maker. Her consistency defensively will dictate her minutes to some extent, however she’s carried out job. I feel her and [Jayme Horan] have each put themselves ready the place we’re tremendous deep. That’s why we have been in a position to transfer [Carly Bachelor] to the wing extra as a result of these guys have actually improved.”
Morgan Maly’s scoring effectivity at totally different ranges:
“She seems much more snug from the mid-to-low publish than she was a 12 months in the past. I believed she made a giant bounce final 12 months, however I feel she’s even higher this 12 months along with her mentality, her footwork, and her willingness to publish and make the most of mismatches. She will miss pictures in a row, however then quarter-hour later she’s made 4 in a row, and the nice factor is it’s not all 3-pointers prefer it was once. If you happen to watched us follow two years in the past and he or she made 4 pictures, it was probability that three of them have been threes … she’s simply extra succesful and extra assured.”