The upsets, comebacks, nice particular person performances, stunning moments and late recreation drama of the final two days made the Candy 16 maybe the perfect one ever. Advancing to the Elite 8 are two groups who’ve by no means been earlier than, some who haven’t superior to this spherical in a really very long time, and a few acquainted faces.
Two key factors from every matchup:
- Taking pictures percentages outline Miami-Villanova: As a crew, Miami shot 45.6 p.c from the sphere and their main scorer, Jasmyne Roberts, had 26 factors on 10-of-16 taking pictures, or 62.5 p.c. In the meantime, Villanova was taking pictures 36.5 p.c, and despite the fact that the nation’s main scorer in all of faculty basketball, Maddy Siegrist, had 31 factors, she shot 8-of-29, or 27.6 p.c. General, Siegrist was liable for 46 p.c of her crew’s subject purpose makes an attempt and 68.2 p.c of their tried free throws.
- Overcoming turnover deficit: Taking pictures that effectively on this recreation allowed for the Hurricanes to beat a 21-11 turnover differential that allowed for the Wildcats to have 30 factors off of turnovers, in comparison with simply 9 factors for Miami. The 2 main scorers additionally performed a serious function in forcing turnovers as each Roberts and Siegrist had 4 and 5 steals, respectively.
- All of it got here all the way down to free throws: Within the recreation’s closing minutes, each groups had been on the line for the lead, and LSU capitalized, whereas Utah didn’t. With lower than two minutes to go, Gianna Kneepkins made two to tie the sport at 61. Isabel Palmer then made two with virtually a minute to go to place Utah forward 63-61. Nationwide Participant of the 12 months candidate Angel Reese was fouled with precisely 57 seconds left, and break up on the free-throw line to ensure that the Tigers to simply be down 63-62. Alexis Morris proceeded to be fouled with 10 seconds, and made each free throws to place the purple and gold up, 64-63. Jenna Johnson proceeded to be fouled with 4 seconds left, and airballed the primary free throw whereas outright lacking the second, and Morris made two extra free throws to provide LSU the 66-63 win.
- Foul bother dominated the day: The Tigers noticed three foul out, together with Reese, whereas the Utes had only one in Alissa Pili. Each groups had not less than 5 gamers with two fouls every and that paid dividends on the finish, as each LSU and Utah shot 23 and 24 free throws, respectively.
- Clark and Czinano: As soon as once more, Caitlin Clark and Monika Czinano shined for Iowa with their inside-out recreation, as the previous had 31 factors and eight assists whereas the latter contributed 15 factors and 7 rebounds. Clark had a robust first quarter with 11 factors after which simply had one subject purpose in the complete second quarter. She then scored 11 and seven factors within the third and fourth quarters. Czinano made key buckets regardless of having simply 28 minutes of taking part in time with foul bother.
- Offensive rebounding for Colorado: Regardless of shedding 87-77, the factor that stored Colorado in it was their 21 offensive rebounds, in comparison with simply seven for his or her opponents. 5 gamers, together with Quay Miller and Aaronette Vonleh, had not less than three offensive boards every, main to fifteen second-chance factors.
- Hailey Van Lith: Once once more, the Cardinal’s scoring machine lead them, with 21 factors. She took and made probably the most pictures for her crew at 7-for-18 and in addition threw in 5 rebounds, 4 assists and one steal.
- Bench manufacturing: Louisville had 27 factors off of the bench, whereas the Ole Miss reserves scored simply 6. The Cardinal bench was lead by Liz Dixon (8 factors), Morgan Jones (11 factors) and Merissah Russell (8 factors).
- Opening up within the third: Maryland outscored Notre Dame 26-13 within the third quarter after the Combating Irish led 32-31 at halftime. This allowed for the Terrapins to show a beforehand shut recreation right into a double-digit rout.
- Guard play makes the distinction: Diamond Miller and Shyanne Sellers mixed for 36 factors, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, seven steals and three blocks for Maryland. They shot 39 p.c from the sphere and 81 p.c from the free-throw line.
- Depth on show: As soon as once more, South Carolina highlighted how deep of a crew that they’re, with 28 bench factors. Kamilla Cardoso and Bree Corridor each had 10 factors on 4-of-7 taking pictures every.
- It’s all about protection: The Bruins held their opponents to a season-low 25 factors at halftime, and the Gamecocks returned the defensive favor. South Carolina shot 33 p.c within the first half and 38 p.c general, whereas UCLA shot 27 p.c within the first half and 29 p.c general.
- UConn’s streak is over: With their loss to Ohio State, the Huskies miss the Elite 8 for the primary time since 2005, and it breaks their 16-year Remaining 4 streak. This additionally marks the primary time since 1985 that Tennessee, Stanford or UConn received’t be within the spherical of eight. The Buckeyes, however, return to the Elite 8 for the primary time since 1993.
- The second quarter differential: Within the second interval, Ohio State outscored UConn 21-9. Throughout that point, the Buckeyes shot 44 p.c from the sphere.
- Georgia Amoore carries the Hokies: The prolific guard scored 29 factors, grabbed six rebounds, dished 5 assists and stole the ball twice. As the first ball handler and main scorer and playmaker for Virginia Tech, she was all the time there at any time when her crew wanted a bucket when Tennessee made a run within the third quarter. This allowed the Hokies to by no means as soon as relinquish their lead.
- The press protection: All all through their 73-64 victory, Virginia Tech had a tough time coping with the Girl Vols’ press protection, which made it troublesome to advance the ball previous off court docket, and resulted in 18 turnovers. Tennessee closed the hole to 4, nevertheless it wasn’t sufficient in the long run.
The Elite 8 subject alerts a brand new period in school basketball, with none of the standard blue blood packages on board. And the following spherical will get exponentially more durable, with no clear-cut winner in any of the pairings.
Who will finish in on the Remaining 4 in Dallas subsequent weekend remains to be anybody’s guess.
Miami vs. LSU, 7 p.m. ET, ESPN
Iowa vs. Louisville, 6 p.m. PT, ESPN
Maryland vs. South Carolina, 7 p.m. ET, ESPN
Ohio State vs. Virginia Tech, 6 p.m. PT ESPN