A business-like win: 10 Takeaways from Boston Celtics-Detroit Pistons
1. The Boston Celtics didn’t destroy the Detroit Pistons, however they nonetheless received by double-digits on the highway. Even in opposition to a beat-up and unhealthy crew, that’s a stable win. The easiest way to time period this one is business-like.
Detroit hung round for a half, after which Jayson Tatum created some separation within the third quarter. The Pistons made a run early within the fourth, however by no means really threatened. From there, the Celtics regained full management and closed it out.
Nobody goes to get too excited a few win over Detroit, not with video games in opposition to the Philadelphia 76ers, Memphis Grizzlies and Milwaukee Bucks looming earlier than the All-Star break. However these ones depend for a similar quantity within the standings. Which means taking good care of enterprise remains to be one thing to be happy with.
2. Derrick White obtained Boston off and operating early. A one-dribble fastbreak would have had Tommy Heinsohn out of his seat, chortling with glee. White completed it with the good lob to Rob Williams:
White has a few of that sneaky athleticism that surprises you when he breaks it out. This was a terrific reduce when Jayson Tatum drew two, and an impressive end for the and-1:
This sport became a spin-move showcase for Boston. White obtained to a pleasant lefty and-1 off the spin right here:
A bit of later, with the Pistons maybe cautious of the spin-move, White used a spin-back to depart Killian Hayes within the mud for the layup:
3. We requested a number of questions on sure objects pregame. One was if Sam Hauser may get going with being inserted into the beginning lineup to exchange an sick Jaylen Brown.
Sure. Sure, he may get going.
Derrick White did an excellent job right here of being affected person to let Hauser get to his spot in transition:
A few journeys later, with the Pistons in cross-match hell, Jayson Tatum obtained into the lane earlier than kicking it to Hauser:
By the top of the half, Hauser has the arrogance flowing. It is a unhealthy go from Tatum, however Hauser catches it low and rises instantly into his jumper:
This one is nice, as a result of the defender is shut. However when the defender doesn’t get a hand up, Hauser goes proper into his shot:
4. Over a five-minute stretch within the latter half of the third quarter, Jayson Tatum took over the sport. He obtained in on the spin-move showcase:
This drive is a type of “I’m greater, sooner, stronger and higher than you” strikes:
In fact, when Tatum has it going, you realize you might be getting the traditional step-back:
These of us from the 80s and 90s will admire that generally you simply should “hit ‘em with the finger roll”:
5. With Jaylen Brown sidelined attributable to sickness, one other focus have been the non-Tatum minutes. Boston was solely -4 with out Jayson Tatum, however that’s not telling the entire story. When Tatum rested to open the fourth quarter, issues obtained actually messy.
Tatum obtained 4:06 of relaxation to open the ultimate interval. The Pistons outscored the Celtics by a 14-3 margin throughout that stretch.
With or with out Jaylen Brown, the Celtics proceed to have an issue when Tatum rests. Logging almost 40 minutes to beat one of many NBA’s worst groups isn’t one thing Boston ought to proceed to should ask of their famous person.
6. One factor was encouraging was Boston did some good work in opposition to Detroit once they despatched two gamers at Jayson Tatum late within the sport.
On this play, Tatum will get the ball a bit of late, however he sees the second defender coming. Derrick White lets it fly to beat the clock:
On this play, Tatum invitations the double-team. Once more, the ball finally ends up with White. No jumper this time, as White drove and went again to the spin-move once more:
7. Rob Williams was excellent on this sport. He completed with 15 factors and 15 rebounds, together with six on the offensive glass. The offensive boards have been a part of Williams cleansing up messes for what felt like your entire sport.
Within the fourth quarter, Williams had a pair of massive putbacks. His timing and gentle contact on the rim are exceptional:
Williams additionally has an unimaginable knack for studying airballs. It looks as if he makes at the very least a play or two like this per sport:
8. The final of our three pre-game queries was questioning who would get the fourth-big minutes, and what number of of them, with Luke Kornet out attributable to a sprained ankle. As anticipated, the reply was Blake Griffin. He logged 13 productive minutes, regardless of not placing up an eye-popping stat-line.
Griffin continues to make the hustle performs and to do the soiled work. He took a cost, set 1,000,000 screens and dealt with a variety of the boxing out. And, as a result of he at all times does, Griffin got here up with a ball to save lots of a possession for Boston:
9. With Jaylen Brown out, Joe Mazzulla went to some extra set performs than ordinary. He continues to attract up calls that get Boston beauty on ATOs. This set has some actually good ground steadiness, however what’s vital is Payton Pritchard staying rooted to his spot. With Jayson Tatum going to the other wing, he’s going to tug the protection. As Malcolm Brogdon and Grant Williams work the center pick-and-roll, with Blake Griffin within the dunker spot, Pritchard finally ends up open:
This one is one other Mazzulla favourite. Tatum comes off the staggered display. Hauser pops to the nook, whereas Rob Williams makes use of the visitors to slide to the rim. Jalen Duren can’t assist off Al Horford too early from the nook, or Williams will kick it out on the quick roll. Even Derrick White staying so excessive takes Killian Hayes out of assist place. It’s simply good play design and the gamers reacting to an on-the-fly play-call:
10. The Celtics now head again dwelling to welcome the 76ers. That’s a giant sport, as Philadelphia is just two behind Boston within the loss column. That’s additionally the ultimate sport earlier than Thursday’s commerce deadline, so there’s sure to be a variety of roster-related intrigue heading into that one for each groups too.