Gavrikov, Nyquist, Bedard & Extra
Simply 37 extra gamedays now, proper? For the Columbus Blue Jackets, that’s lots of video games to play out the string. However if you sit 25 factors out of a playoff spot, it means they’re enjoying out the string.
Whereas the Blue Jackets play the string out on the ice, the entrance workplace goes to get busy getting ready for the commerce deadline and past. They’ve so much on their plate together with deciding on the futures of Vladislav Gavrikov and Gus Nyquist. As of this writing, each are anticipated now to be traded by the Mar 3 deadline.
However what’s the newest round these two gamers? Which groups might categorical an curiosity of their providers? That’s the place we start this week.
The Newest on Gavrikov & Nyquist
As anticipated, many groups are believed to be focused on Gavrikov. He’s thought-about a strong second-pairing defenseman who performs the type of recreation contenders love.
In accordance with TSN Insider Buying and selling, it’s believed as many as 10 groups have contacted the Blue Jackets about Gavrikov. In case you are the Blue Jackets, you must like this given that there’s a clear curiosity within the participant. With a sturdy market, they need to have the ability to discover a appropriate return.
In accordance with Pierre Lebrun, “It’s going to be a primary+ if you wish to have him in your group for the remainder of the 12 months.” Lebrun additionally added that Gavrikov is enjoying at a better stage than David Savard was on the time. Savard returned each a primary and third rounder. In a loaded top-end of the 2023 NHL Draft, having extra pictures is rarely a nasty factor.
The Blue Jackets personal six picks within the first 4 rounds of the 2023 Draft, together with an additional third rounder and additional fourth rounder due to the Oliver Bjorkstrand to Seattle deal. It’s very doable the Blue Jackets might enter the draft with as many as eight picks within the first 4 rounds in the event that they get the appropriate return for Gavrikov.
As for the most typical groups linked to Gavrikov, the Oilers, Kings and Maple Leafs have been talked about probably the most. The Oilers have been seen following the Blue Jackets of late with scouts going to consecutive video games getting a better look.
Associated: Oilers Seen Following Blue Jackets Round of Late
As for Nyquist, Hockey Night time in Canada final Saturday talked about that the Blue Jackets have began speaking to groups a couple of potential deal. He can match on any contender’s center six whereas including worth on particular groups whereas bringing a veteran chief into the locker room.
Nyquist’s cap hit of $5.5 million might make issues a bit of tough. Maybe the Blue Jackets have to think about retaining a part of that hit so as to make a commerce occur.
As for which groups could possibly be a match, Each day Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli suggests the Jets, Stars, Penguins, Devils and Rangers as prospects. Every group would really like the potential worth of boosting their center six.
Newest Information & Highlights
As for a return, don’t count on a first-round choose to be a risk. Nonetheless a number of picks and/or gamers could possibly be concerned. When Nyquist went to San Jose on the 2019 commerce deadline, the Pink Wings bought a second rounder, a 3rd rounder and needed to retain 30% of the wage. Whereas that was 4 years in the past, it offers you an thought of the framework that could possibly be concerned.
With six weeks till the commerce deadline, you’ll be able to count on the noise to choose up round Gavrikov and Nyquist. Every will assist a contender in several methods.
Connor Bedard Watch
If you wish to know what a number of Blue Jackets’ followers are doing, they’re watching the standings each day. As we enter Saturday’s video games, the Blue Jackets occupy the basement of the standings by themselves.
The Blue Jackets do have competitors although. Three groups, the Blackhawks, the Geese and the Coyotes are all inside 5 factors of the basement. Whereas ending in final doesn’t assure profitable the appropriate to draft Connor Bedard, it does assure sure issues.
You May Additionally Like
First, ending in final will assure that group a top-three choose. They’d even have the very best odds of profitable the draft lottery. Final place is a 25.5% probability to win whereas second-to-last will get a 13.5% probability to win. By way of the possibilities of ending first or second, the final place group has a 44.3% probability of that and 55.7% of dropping to 3rd.
It’s well-known the Blue Jackets want a high heart of their group. This could be their greatest probability ever to fill that want. Even when they don’t land Bedard, they will nonetheless get a high heart.
We are going to proceed to observe the standings because the season goes on. Somebody’s franchise is about to alter eternally come June.
- The Blue Jackets might very nicely end in final. Have you ever seen their schedule in March with all of the highway video games? They’ve simply three dwelling video games in March, which occurs to be as many dwelling video games as they’ve highway wins this season. Simply three wins. Yikes.
- That’s not the one factor the Blue Jackets are on the backside of. Their energy play has been terrible. Want proof? They’re final in targets, simply 17 in 45 video games. They’re final in power-play probabilities with 119. Their 14.3% conversion is final. With Johnny Gaudreau and Patrik Laine on that unit, that’s not good. They’ve additionally allowed 5 shorthanded targets this season.
- Daniil Tarasov was despatched again to AHL Cleveland, which means that Joonas Korpisalo and Elvis Merzlikins are wholesome.
- We’ll finish on a constructive observe. The brand new fan zone at Nationwide Enviornment appears wonderful. The general expertise seems to be the primary of its variety in an NHL area. Simply wait till the group on the ice catches as much as the group off it.
I’m a totally credentialed author who covers the Columbus Blue Jackets, Cleveland Monsters and Erie Otters in addition to the Ontario Hockey League and NHL Draft. The 2022-23 season will mark 9 seasons with the Hockey Writers. I’m additionally the positioning’s Credentials Supervisor. Please be aware of the up to date Twitter deal with: @mark_scheig.