The retirement of Corridor-of-Fame area hockey coach Karen Shelton final week is certain to instigate a frenzy of coaches who want to take the place and attempt to replicate the success of North Carolina groups of the previous.
It’s an attention-grabbing query: who’s more likely to be in that teaching field at Karen Shelton Stadium subsequent fall for the Heels’ opening sport?
Given the robust tradition that Shelton delivered to the group through the years, in addition to the unparalleled success, the checklist is probably going very quick and really a lot in-house, which means that, within the under checklist, the names Caitlin Van Sickle and Grant Fulton must be regarded as being in daring kind. However there may very well be some impressed decisions on the subject of individuals who could make a distinction.
Right here’s my checklist:
- Jackie Kintzer Briggs — Considered one of UNC’s all-time finest goalkeepers, she has been an assistant coach at Wake Forest the final three years. Can be an attention-grabbing rent, given the offensive aptitude the present UNC aspect has.
- Man Cathro — Former UNC assistant coach works with the W.C. Eagles membership group, and, as such, is a conduit to a famend membership program which developed the likes of Erin Matson, Ryleigh Heck, and Ashley Sessa.
- Meghan Dawson — Final week, the UNC grad resigned her place as the top coach of Appalachian State to, as a press launch mentioned, to spend extra time together with her household. Would possibly the development arc of App State throughout her eight years there be sufficient for her to reach Chapel Hill? It wouldn’t be stunning.
- Grant Fulton — Has served on the teaching employees since 2005, and as affiliate head coach for the final dozen years. Has nice expertise teaching within the U.S. system with the Younger Ladies’s Nationwide Championship. I’d assume he can be the main candidate, given his present place as affiliate coach.
- Kate Kinnear — Frolicked as a volunteer assistant coach earlier than shifting to Norfolk Cape Henry Collegiate (Va.). Former U.S. captain who has had a devil-may-care angle as a participant, and was one among Shelton’s best-ever gamers throughout her profession.
- Laurel Hershey Martin — Former Tar Heel spent various years at Lebanon Valley Faculty and Stevenson College earlier than leaving in 2021. Would possibly the intervening yr been a recharge for her aggressive spirit?
- Loren Shealy — The previous Heel’s educational and work background in enterprise would possibly serve her properly in managing individuals and forming long-range plans. Doesn’t damage that she performed for the U.S. group for a spell.
- Caitlin Van Sickle — Present assistant coach with six years’ expertise with the U.S. ladies’s nationwide group. Spent a yr as an assistant at Princeton earlier than becoming a member of the UNC employees.
It is going to be attention-grabbing to see which coach will get tapped to hold on an unlimited activity.