Quotes and Notes from girls’s basketball observe:
- Freshman level guard Kiani Lockett (knee) has been cleared to do some 1-on-1 and 2-on-2 with contact, based on head coach Jim Flanery. It’s attainable that she could possibly be upgraded to 4-on-4 and 5-on-5 in a pair weeks if she continues to progress.
- In an nameless ballot of the gamers and coaches, senior guard Rachael Saunders and junior level guard Molly Mogensen had been almost unanimous choices because the vocal leaders of the workforce. Junior guard Jayme Horan earned three votes, which was a little bit of a shock however in all probability shouldn’t be to those that have been round her each day. The 2019 Nebraska Gatorade Participant of the 12 months has a number of standout moments all through preseason camp and appears poised to have her greatest season as a Bluejay. By all accounts, she is a weight room warrior who can knock down open photographs, defend publish gamers, stick her nostril in a free ball scrap, and speak up her teammates throughout drills. That’s beneficial on a workforce that returns three gamers who averaged greater than 12 factors per sport final season.
- Junior guard Lauren Jensen placed on a hell of a present for the media members who awakened early sufficient to attend observe previous to native media day on Tuesday. In a pair of managed dwell classes, she hit 5 threes and not using a miss, nailed a pull-up jumper off the dribble, hit a baseline floater, pressured a shot clock violation within the publish in opposition to All-Huge East ahead Emma Ronsiek, and capped it off with a mid-range jumper off the catch. There have been unconfirmed reviews of a random aftershock in Iowa Metropolis across the identical time.
- Talking of Rachael Saunders and her management — the senior guard bought shaken up a bit when she crashed to the ground and landed laborious on her elbow close to the baseline. A number of performs later, she was the primary one to the ground to safe a free ball close to midcourt. They don’t make them any harder.
- Freshman guard Brittany Harshaw had possibly her greatest observe of the autumn on Thursday afternoon at The Ruth. A pair standout moments had been a nook three-ball and a deflection/steal. Each got here in opposition to the blokes’ observe squad.
Jim Flanery on Molly Mogensen’s transition to PG1:
“I feel she’s been actually good. I feel she understands that she’s a special level guard than Tatum, however I feel she understands that she will be able to run the workforce in an analogous means however not essentially precisely the identical. Her help numbers in observe are actually good and her turnovers are down. I feel she must look to shoot slightly bit greater than she has, and that will likely be a back-and-forth factor between what lineup is she in — when she is in slightly higher lineup versus when she is in a lineup the place she must squeeze a shot or two extra.
She’s simply regular and it’s good as a result of when you have got shot makers like Lauren and Emma and Morgan, who’re going to overlook three in a row, it’s good to have that voice of a classmate who can regular them. With these three it’s in all probability extra vital from game-to-game that they’re making photographs, however Molly might be sort of of their ear slightly bit extra as a result of she is aware of that her function isn’t essentially fairly as a lot about placing the ball within the basket as these different three. And defensively, she offers us somebody who’s tenacious and stable.”
Jim Flanery on Morgan Maly’s ballhandling:
“She appears far more comfy; I’m actually enthusiastic about that. We’re not going to provide her an immense quantity of freedom, however she’s bought slightly extra freedom to play with it and put it on the ground slightly. Two years in the past, we had been telling her if you happen to haven’t shot it by the point you’ve caught it and jabbed a couple of times, don’t dribble it.
She’s far more comfy now. She’s completed a very good job of placing herself in place the place she will be able to create off the dribble. I like her mid-post sport, too. I feel she’s extra comfy there, and that requires some ballhandling, too. Yeah, you may jab, however typically it’s important to go one dribble and end, and it’s important to management the dribble in site visitors, so I feel she’s completed a very good job all the way in which round. She’s actually improved.”
Jim Flanery on Jayme Horan’s efficiency in preseason camp:
“Jayme goes to play and have an even bigger function than she’s had definitely. Defensively she has some limitations … however she’s stable, she’s going to dam out, she’s going to attract fees, and he or she makes open threes and retains the ball off the ground. The one factor she has to fret about is her turnovers are just a bit bit excessive for what we’re asking her to do.
As we speak, she was good. She had two assists and no turnovers, however there are lots of days the place she has two assists and two turnovers, and for not more than we’re asking her to place the ball on the ground she’s bought to maintain these turnovers down. In any other case, I feel she’s doing nice. Whenever you take a look at what Payton (Brotzki) performed final season, these are her minutes if she stays true to who she is and doesn’t deviate.”
Quotes and Notes from Males’s Basketball Follow:
- Junior heart Ryan Kalkbrenner is as impactful as you’d count on coming off a season the place he shot 65% from the sphere and received Huge East Defensive Participant of the 12 months. Creighton desires to hurry issues up once more on the offensive finish this yr, however additionally they need to get their huge man the ball extra along with his again to the basket and let him go to work. He even confirmed off one thing nasty dealing with the basket as nicely when he put the ball and the deck in opposition to a teammate, that shall not be revealed right now, and drove in for a one-handed dunk on stated teammate’s head.
- South Dakota State switch Baylor Scheierman confirmed off the elite playmaking capacity in a pair situations throughout managed scrimmages. He grabbed an offensive rebound, dribbled it out to the nook, and circled to money a three-ball. Later he minimize by way of the lane, caught a no-look bounce cross from Ryan Nembhard and instantly hit Mason Miller on the wing with an ideal chest cross for a large open three.
- TCU switch Francisco Farabello is wanting increasingly like a man who might be trusted in crunch time. He shoots it nicely, handles it nicely, doesn’t make pricey errors, communicates on time, and understands time and rating. Barring an harm, he in all probability received’t be a starter, however he could be a more in-depth.
- Sophomore ahead Arthur Kaluma practiced three of the final 4 days earlier than the workforce went on fall break. The teaching workers has been correctly conservative with Kaluma’s workload throughout the offseason after he injured his knee in early February final season.
- Sophomore combo guard Trey Alexander is a nasty mom you-know-what on the defensive finish of the ground. The attributes are there with the quickness and the size, however it’s the mentality that basically units him aside. He met freshman huge man Fredrick King on the rim throughout a dwell session, blocked the dunk, stole the free ball, and pitched it forward to Ryan Nembhard for a simple scoop layup in transition.
Greg McDermott on having Ryan Nembhard and Shereef Mitchell wholesome and accessible to observe:
“You’ve bought the ball flying up and down the ground regardless of which workforce has the basketball if they’re on reverse groups. Our tempo by no means suffers due to who’s on the level guard place. Clearly ‘Reef’ brings loads defensively coming off of what I believed was the very best basketball of his profession the Candy 16 season, so hopefully he can construct on that and ‘R2’ is again and wholesome, so it’s been a pleasant luxurious to have.”
Greg McDermott on Baylor Scheierman’s ability set:
“I had studied him fairly a bit earlier than we bought concerned within the recruiting course of, so I used to be nicely conscious of what he was able to. He has an incredible basketball IQ and that results in the passing and selections that he makes. Defensively he’s actually bought a way for the place to be and when to be there, and he rebounds his place fairly nicely. He’s been the whole lot we may have hoped for and extra.”
Greg McDermott on how Francisco Farabello is acclimating to Creighton:
“He actually matches our system. He’s nice at coming off pin downs and screens. He makes the proper selections and may actually shoot the basketball, and he’s very clever on the defensive finish of the ground. His communication expertise have in all probability stunned me probably the most. He’s not afraid to steer. He’s completed an amazing job making an attempt to influence the younger gamers on our workforce. He’s going to be a beneficial weapon for us.”